64 Youth who volunteered their time for a 2 week camp for children in poverty
18 Speeches given by youth to community leaders
112 Youth engaged with SYC having a positive impact in their community
The Shawnee Youth Coalition (SYC) is a youth led group determined to make a change. You see many of the issues that they are actively working to change. These are the things that they see as issues and problems in their community. They see these issues impacting their lives, the lives of their friends and family, their community and even their state. Not willing to sit and do nothing they are empowering themselves and their peers to create this change.
- A Camp that provides food and opportunities for children in poverty
- Working with the schools to bring a fresh approach to dealing with bullying
- Creating campaigns to deal with the social norms that exist around adults providing alcohol to minors.
- Educating and training themselves on issues like suicide, alcohol, tobacco, and poverty.
- Creating opportunities for other youth to express their concerns with ideas and solutions.